Tuesday, July 27, 2010

No More Extra Websites!

For a very long time I made websites.  Most of these websites were just novelty sites.  You may consider them stupid because, to be perfect honest, I do at this point in time.  Today, with the financial climate being so tight, I had to get rid of a couple superfluous webspaces.  One of them was a space that I've had for almost seven years, if you could believe it.  This website, that has been with me for so long, was wiped out within a matter of minutes.  It was something that was fun for a very long time, and it was mostly created it because for my love of music.  There was another webspace that was just sitting there, which was never used for the most part, that I got rid of as well.  Really there was no sadness, other than a little nostalgia.  The first site that I was mentioning was my Richard Marx fansite.  That was such a fun site to work on, and it evolved and changed so many times.  After a while, I just stopped working on it.  It didn't really mean that much to me anymore and it was creating an expense that was becoming an excess.  The same was holding true with the other site.  I have decided that having urls, unless you are using them for revenue purposes, are ridiculous to pay for. 

There are so many different things that you can do on the web that don't consist of spending egregious amounts of money.  I would rather take a free blog on here, run a Facebook, or have a Twitter account than have a website that isn't really doing anybody any good.  I loved the Richard Marx website very much but, really, how many people were actually visiting that.  I can't keep myself from chuckling when I think about it.  The other website I was going to run a blog through, but that never really happened when I found this place.  So that other url kind of became dusty and cost me money every month for being unused.  It was hosting images for the most part.  I was also hosting some music until I could transfer it to another computer, which isn't altogether on the up and up.  Needless to say that was only a very temporary venture.  I kept thinking to myself, "Why do I bother using this extra webspace for images when I have a Xanga with unlimited hosting space?"  That's when I realized that this was just stupid.  I have a Lifetime account with Xanga and a free account here, I don't really need all that extra garbage.  If I needed a url for this blog that badly, I could buy one cheaply with Go-Daddy.  I could even get one under my husband's plan.  I just don't need one!  After today's cancellations, I saved myself almost $40 in charges.  I feel really good about all of that.  So long Richard Marx fansite!  I will miss you but, hello savings.

1 comment:

  1. Denise,
    I think your doing the right thing..40.00 a month is alot to pay. There are so many RM sites since he started making more music..You have alot going on in your life...Now you have extra time and extra money....good luck in everything you do...

    ReplyDelete