Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chronicle of Yesterday

I went with my kid sister, Lenore, to Eagle Point with my father yesterday and I hadn't been down to that beach by he river in almost thirteen years.  The last time I was down there was with my Mom and my kid sister.  So Lenore and I went out by the dock where we used to go fishing and crabbing as kids and I welled up a bit.  I kept thinking so much about my life and how fast it's gone by.  The reason we were there was for a community picnic.  My father didn't want us to miss some of it, so that's how we made it there.  Even as a I write this, I still cry about all of this.  I somehow feel so foolish that I can't get past some of this.  It doesn't seem so much like grieving, but real nostalgia.  I feel this honest and genuine gratitude for all of things my Mom taught me.  Like fishing with a bobber with a bamboo pole or building sand castles on the beach.

The Eagle Point beach has changed so much itself, because the sand has eroded so much that the parking lot is bigger than the beach itself.  It's kind of sad, because the water actually comes up to the pavillion now.  I sat there and had a hot dog and some salad.  I actually talked to some of my Mom's old friends and explained what happened last month, which was kind of difficult.  I hated having to rehash the whole experience, but I really couldn't get around it.  Ah well!  My Dad was happy that I went, because I know that he was kind of blue that morning.  He usually went with Mom to these events.  I was a bit apprehensive, so he called my sister when I initially declined, so my sister kind of shamed into the whole event.  I guess I am an awful daughter, but I really try not to be.  I just don't like to be around people that I don't necessarily know.

Last night was much better though!  I went with my two sisters and my kid sister's husband to see the Peek-a-Boo Burlesque Revue at the Asbury Lanes.  It was really fun and it was actually humourous at times.  I thought it was going to be stripper-like, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was kind of tasteful.  They had the Betty Page kind of thing going, with the pinup look to some of the girls.  They had some of the fifties look to some of the girls, but then there was some contemporary bits that made the show very unexpected.  I really thought it was interesting.  I don't know if I would have ever chosen to go and see that type of show on my own, because it wouldn't have been my thing.  At least in my mind.  It was fun though!  I have to bring Donald the next time, because I think he'll enjoy himself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment