Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Culinary Endeavor

I decided to channel my inner Madhur Jaffrey this evening.  My husband Don and I have been wanting to do something different with the standard salmon fare we usually have during the week.  I was watching this show called the Spice Goddess on the new Cooking Channel.  Bal Arneson, the television chef on the program, was making this wonderful dish called Salmon with Coconut Sauce.  This dish has all of these lovely spices like cardamom seeds, coriander, fennel seeds, brown mustard seeds, fresh cracked pepper, and fresh ginger.  My husband and I found the perfect tomato at the market and some beautiful salmon fillets from the fish mongor.  We grabbed some coconut milk along the way, and then off home to make a fantastic meal.  Both of us were surprised how easy it was to make the meal.  We cooked the salmon by searing it, in a bit of vegetable oil, until it was cooked through on both sides.  We decided to just cook both the sauce and the fish in vegetable oil, because the other oils were so pricey and the taste was just as great!  While Don was busy working with the salmon, I was assembling the sauce by sauteing my ginger, spices and diced tomato.  Then when they were thoroughly cooked, I added a cup of coconut milk.  The fragrances around the room were unbelievable.  When the salmon finished, Don added fresh squeezed lemon and fresh cracked pepper.  I steamed some string beans to accompany and ladled the sauce over the fish.  It was awesome!  Paired it with a merlot and a soundtrack of classic hindi bollywood songs!  What a fantastic evening! 

If you want to try this recipe for yourself, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment