Saturday, July 3, 2010

Healthy Food

I went to the grocery store today to accomplish two weeks worth of shopping.  When I was walking through the aisles, I was looking for healthy choices for meals and snacks.  I noticed right away that most of these products had immense amounts of sodium within them.  Aside from the produce, it was hard to find items that I could use.  You end up scouring the shelves to meal plan for the week.  You look for lowfat and low carbohydrate lunches, and you can't even turn to items like Lean Cuisine.  Do we consider most of the foods on your grocer's shelves real food?  I was on my way down the dairy aisle and I went to buy some nonfat yogurt.  Just as I went to put my containers in the cart, a little boy scurried around me to grab the Go-Gurt.  I was reading in an article on Hub-Pages stating that this product has more sugar than the soft drink, Coca Cola.  That fact sickens and startles me all at the same time.  I couldn't believe that Yoplait would deceitfully trick the consumer into thinking that is healthy.  Coca Cola has 3.25 grams of sugar within the soft drink.  In one serving of Go-Gurt, you have 4.89.  This product uses mostly high fructose corn syrup to sweeten.  Is that really food aside from the cultured milk?  I find that to be something that every parent or person alone to avoid.

There seem to be many food products that are considered to be healthy and are distinctly unhealthy.  Anyone can realize that candy isn't good for you, and french fries are not the best thing to eat, but some of these labels are deceptive.  Even something as simple whole grain muffin could be loaded with unhealthy fats disguised as naturally good for you.  Fat-free muffins may not be healthy either, because they are using sugars to make up for flavor.  Many people buy these breakfast items with the intent of putting more fiber into their diets, but they are unaware of the cholesterol that they are ingesting.  Rather than choosing that product, you can choose to eat something like Kashi Go-Lean or Cinnamon Harvest which contain important proteins and two grams of fiber per serving, plus it is beneficially low in calories.  This, of course, depends on your usage of lowfat or nonfat milk.  I never use whole milk and always stick to skim or nonfat milk, so I don't feel that I am missing out in any way.  All-Bran, which can be bland for most, carries a high amount of fiber within their product.  I can't eat that cereal because it tastes like wood shavings.  I guess I'm not a good advocate for Kellogg's.  

When it comes to lunch food, I always feel like I'm on the great search for something tasty and quick.  I always seem to go to a frozen meal, because it's something that is quick and ready in less than six minutes.  Today I looked at the package of Lean Cuisine, while I was at the grocery store, and I was blown away.  They had great elements for portion control and were quick to prepare, but they were extremely high in sodium.  Unfortunately, I bought a couple anyway.  I tried to find the packages with the least amount of sodium, which have a level of 480 milligrams or less per serving.  There are healthy alternatives.  I did find low calorie, whole grain bread and I found cold cuts that were low in sodium.  Brands like Russer and Butterball put out low sodium versions of Virginia Ham and Sliced Turkey that are available at the deli counter in your grocery store.  I also found that you can make a great tuna sandwich with low calorie mayonnaise and albacore tuna when you add red onions and celery to the mix.   Beware of tuna salad from your favorite deli, because most of it is made with high calorie mayonnaise and may contain more fat and cholesterol than a fast-food hamburger.  Sometimes I think that going to the store and buying fresh produce for a salad is safer than risking the other alternatives.  You can always add the tuna plain, cooked lump crabmeat, or cooked shrimp for added protein.  Grilled chicken pieces are also great for added protein.  Of course, you have to use moderation when making those choices. 

I really love the momentum of the whole food movement.  I think that eating fresh organic vegetables from a local grower is absolutely fantastic.  I wish that we were able to have that opportunity year round, but unfortunately that isn't the case.  I have noticed that in the winter months, the organic produce in our supermarket has to be shipped so far that it isn't in great shape by the time it hits the produce shelves.  The push for finding organic red meat or produce can be difficult.  Being that I can't leave meat behind and go toward the vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, I still suffer from getting supermarket quality beef to use for dinners or lunches.  Noticeably we haven't really brought Whole Food Supermarkets in our area, and I wish we were able to buy meat originating from grass fed cows.  Instead we have to rely on what the USDA claims to be a quality product.  Many of these animals are fed hormones or antibiotics for growth.  It really scares me to think of it.  It makes you worry about what meat they are using when you order a hamburger at a restaurant.  With the high mercury content within seafood products, it also makes you nervous to eat that on a regular basis.  Methylmercury, an organic compound found in most seafood products, can cause symptoms such as paresthesia (pins and needles), lack of coordination, impairment of speech, hearing and movement, and can cause muscle weakness.  It makes you nervous about eating a fish fillet sandwich, even if it is on a whole grain roll with low calorie mayo.  I try to only eat seafood once a week to reduce the chance for mercury absorption but if your pregnant or you are a child, the National Resources Defense Council says that you are more vulnerable to absorption in your tissues.

Even though we have so many different dangers within the food market here in the United States, I still have fun trying new recipes.  I find that the joy of sharing time in the kitchen with my husband to be very endearing.  I love tasting that first bite and sharing it with him.  Right now, we are trying to have that same result, but with healthy twists.  Sometimes I fall off the wagon and have a slice of pizza, but I try to find new foods to cheat with.  My biggest addiction right now are fresh pears, especially during this time of year.  Making tacos with lean Angus beef, whole grain tortillas, low fat cheese, and organic fresh vegetables is another addiction.  This, of course, is eaten in moderation.  I really love grilled salmon and fresh whole green beans as well.  I'm not the type for sweets for the most part, but lately flavored rice cakes have sneaked in as a replacement for cookies and chips.  I struggle with weight difficulties, and have crash dieted many times, but it seems that I am able to keep the calories down just by living a lifestyle.  Being that diets are so regimented, I have been trying to find something that fits my everyday plan.  This way I don't feel as if I am being deprived, but I am eating correctly.  I try not to rationalize my needs for certain foods, because if they are unhealthy, they just are.  Choosing safe foods seems to be more of a necessity than just a choice.

1 comment:

  1. The Go-Gurt comment really hit home. I've been buying Stonyfield Farm organic yogurt for the twins. I buy the one for babies because it's full-fat and they need that at their age, but babies DON'T need all the sugar they put in that stuff. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete