Monday, September 6, 2010

Tough On Yourself

As humans we have a tendency to be tough on ourselves.  This seems to be a part of humanity, a part of human nature in a conscious sense.  To face or address this is difficult and reforming that behavior pattern is even more challenging.  These behaviors are sometimes noticeable and some aren't.  The obstacle is noticing the problem for yourself.  For some, it may be hard to accept praise for jobs well done.  Others may never feel as if they do anything right.  Body image can also come into play when it comes to this issue.  Many men and women are hard on themselves, because they need to find perfection when it comes to the way they look. Hating yourself for getting sick, and the limitations it causes is another example.  I suffer from this prime example.  Being that I am an epileptic, I have a very specific limitation that many adults take for granted.  I cannot drive an automobile.  Driving, to me, symbolizes a sense of freedom.  Because I do not drive, I am at the mercy of others for transportation.  I've always hated myself for having such frailties that I have to rely on the aid of others.  The anger I have for myself is the red flag that indicates that I need to find some refuge from this self-unkindness.  Sometimes you don't realize how tough you are until other people point out the obstacle, and that can be the toughest indication.

Essentially, when a person is difficult on themselves, they give their body the indication that they are unworthy.  When you think this way, you cause psychological or physical problems that have to be addressed later.  I know this from experience.  Unfortunately, this can be cyclical.  Being tough on one's self is a frivolous waste of energy.  If I kept dwelling on my limitations, I would constantly feel a state of depression.  This would inhibit myself from performing my daily life.  Dwelling on your limitations sponges the life out of yourself and takes away from the positive things that life has to offer.  It can affect the way you deal with people and your relationships.  It can cause your body to feel physically ill, which is something that caught up with me lately.  Even if you are used to feeling that unhealthy and drained, you know that it's wrong on a basic human level.  Like any other bad habit, this is something that is more than difficult to shake.  Doing so takes real ambition and drive to feel better about yourself.  Realizing your triggers, noticing the signs, and being aware makes all the difference.  This makes a more positive outlook toward ourselves and the way we deal with our life in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment