Monday, September 13, 2010

Dropping Out

I was sitting in my Algebra class this morning and my instructor enters the room.  She takes attendance and suddenly remarks, "They're already dropping out like flies!"  After making that statement, she laughs a bit and begins her lessons.  After the class was completed for the day, that statement stuck in my head.  It struck me that most of the students within the classroom were twenty years younger than me and fresh out of high school, but they've already withdrawn themselves from the course.  This isn't the first course that I've noticed this occurrence.  I've seen it in many other classes throughout my time on campus.  All of the students were young and, nine times out of ten, they were freshmen.  So many students stress about making their way into college but, once they register and start classes, they easily withdraw.  Why is that?  According to American College Testing, one in every four students drop out of college before they complete their sophomore year or move to another college to complete their degree program.  The stress of college is something that high schools forget to counsel students about.  Students, especially those who dorm out, have to learn how to manage living on their own with the responsibility, time and expense management that comes along with the task.  This can take a toll for the college student, fresh from high school, who was used to having their parents to help them when they needed it.

From what I have noticed, as I have gone back to college, students really don't take classes seriously for the first two weeks.  I think there is this false sense of security or this easy going feeling, whereas they feel that there will not be work or anything intensive involved in a course.  For example, I had been studying Etruscan Art in my Art History course for almost a week and according to the course sheet, my instructor noted that we were due for an exam.  Another fellow student, who was constantly texting, looked up for the first time after a week and said, "He gives tests?"  I told her yes and I asked her if she took notes.  I usually reread my notes and the chapters more than once to keep material familiar so I can keep myself fresh for testing.  She told me no and said, "I'm not good at studying and I think this was a bad idea.... I think I'm going to drop."  This was after three weeks of the course.  It was really sad.  Another girl was facing the same dilemma, but worked really hard to catch up on her studies and passed the course.  She told me that balancing work, her social life and relationship, and school was hard at first, but she got the hang of it.  I can't understand why some students won't take advantage of the free tutors on campus!  I've seen fellow students flounder and it can be so easily remedied.  I've taken advantage of the math tutors on countless occasions and even the writing tutors!  Instead, they just drop when their grade lowers so they don't affect their GPA!  They're still paying for the course unfortunately.

There are many other reasons for the drop out rate in the United States.  One of the largest difficulties is financial pressure.  The amount of tuition for the average student is astronomically high and many middle class families can't afford to send their children to college.  According to a journal article on College Board called Trends in College Pricing 2009, colleges can charge up $35,000 or more for tuition costs per semester.  $126 Billion dollars has been awarded to students in Financial Aid.  Even with the buffer of financial aid, students feel the pressure of getting a high paying job after schooling in order to repay the crushing debt of school loans.  According to the National Center for Public Policy, 79% of Financial Aid students dropped when they were at Full-Time status at college.  Loans are now subsidized by the Federal Government rather than private banks, which helps in some respects, but pushes more students into verification.  This can delay students from getting their loans in on time before their classes begin.  Community colleges are becoming increasingly popular, because they can give students their first two years of college and prepare them for a bigger university or college where they may have to live away from home.  This decision also lowers the cost.  Ocean County College and Brookdale Community College are examples of community colleges that partner with large universities.  Ocean County College partners with Kean University and Brookdale Community College partners with Rutgers University.  Students can matriculate through both schools without having to live far from home and it lowers the cost of tuition.  I've seen students forced out because their loans are pushed into verifications, even with the community colleges making a more affordable alternative.  Make sure that all your documentation is in to the Financial Aid office as soon as possible to avoid any mishaps.  I've experienced difficulties with this myself, and it's no picnic.  I'm serious when I say that! 

There are things to remember before you decide to become another college dropout.  According to the United States Census Bureau, students who have a college education, stand to make twice as much per year than those with just a high school diploma.  In college, you can get recommendations, build up your resume, fall into lucrative intern positions and be able to obtain a job following your graduate education.  Sometimes that education may come later in life, but don't let that stop you from pursuing your dream.  The longer you put off your education, the harder it will be to find a career that will give you a stable happy lifestyle.  Choose the right major for you, because that can also play into a reason to drop.  Make sure you know what you want, before you start out your journey.  Talk to your college advisers, because they are paid to help you with your college experience.  Take advantage of study strategy seminars as well, because they can help you manage your time and keep you from feeling overwhelmed when exams and midterms arise.  For those who are considering college, whether you are in high school or you are an adult, look at all of your options.  Prepare yourself for the experience, whether it is going to a junior college or community college first, before a university or taking the college head start plan that some high schools offer.  College should be a fun and rewarding experience that you can learn and grow from, not to drop out and miss out on all the opportunities it can afford you.

No comments:

Post a Comment