Saturday, June 12, 2010

One of These Nights


A couple months ago I was looking for Keith Urban tickets. I'm a really big fan of his music and I like to see one of his concerts a year, when he comes around. So I went onto Ticketmaster to see if his tour was moving through town during the Summertime. When I typed in the search engine and clicked, the Eagles came up. I looked at the bill and I was so excited. So, naturally, I told my husband about the concert, because I didn't want to go alone. Donald kind of sighed, as you would imagine, because this isn't his type of music. He knew I really wanted to go, so he went with the whole idea. When I saw the tickets for their other tours on Ticketmaster, they were always very expensive. This was very reasonable in comparison and it had the added bonus of Keith Urban along with the Dixie Chicks. Going to this concert, for me, was something that I have dreamed for so many years. I have been wanting to see the Eagles in concert since I was fourteen years old! I've had almost every album they ever made either on tape or on vinyl. Now I have them digitally! Out of every musical group that I've ever been into, they've always been my favorite. (They were the reason that I got into Richard Marx. It's true!) From the time I ordered the tickets, to the time they arrived, to the show date came up, I was sitting on pins and needles.

When the show date finally arrived, my husband and I decided that we were going to the venue early. We figured it would cut down on the traffic and we'd get ample parking. I thought that we were going to be lucky and have a sunny day for the show, but there were a couple weather twists that we didn't expect. We packed sandwiches and iced teas in the cooler, because we didn't want to spend too much at the stadium. After we ate and we were seated it was quite sunny and hot, which was very unpleasant to say the least. When Keith Urban came on, a downpour came upon us. It rained for the bulk of his set, and most of the people fled for cover. I didn't want to miss any of his set, because I love his music so much, so I braved the rainstorm. It was really fun! Keith always puts out one-hundred and ten percent, whether he is opening or headlining a show. He rallied through the crowd and played You Look Good in My Shirt, which is one of my favorites. Keith also played Days Go By and Stupid Boy, along with Defying Gravity songs Sweet Thing, Kiss a Girl, and I'm In. He ended the set with Somebody Like You. Then the Dixie Chicks came on and did their standard fare with songs like Ready to Run, Goodbye Earl, Wide Open Spaces, and Not Ready to Make Nice. They also did a cover of Hey, Soul Sister by Train. I really enjoyed them. By then, I was wet and kind of cold.

When the Eagles were getting ready to come on stage, I was already speculating on how they would start their set. One of my favorite Eagles songs in Seven Bridges Road, which Keith covers on the road. I thought that since Keith was with him on this leg of the tour, they might start with that song as their opener. Of course, they actually did! That was really fantastic! To hear Hotel California, Witchy Woman, and Life in the Fast Lane live is unbelievable! To hear Joe Walsh play guitar on those songs is absolutely mindblowing. The band performed Take It to the Limit, but they had Glenn Frey on the vocals. It was distinctly different, but I was still amazed that I could hear that song live. Nobody could belt out that tune like Randy Meisner; no matter how you size it. My favorite songs with Glenn Frey are Lyin' Eyes and Take It Easy. I was so amazed to hear Don Henley sing Desperado and Timothy B. Schmidt sing I Can't Tell You Why. Those are moments in my life I will never forget. There were some songs from Joe Walsh's solo works and from Don Henley's, most notably Boys of Summer and Life's Been Good. The band played almost every song I wished they would've. It was a dream setlist that even exceeded my expectations. By the end of the night, even though I was damp and freezing, I was beyond happy. This was the concert I was waiting to see since I was a kid; this was one of the best shows I've ever attended. A simple bit of luck while looking for Keith Urban tickets made my dream come true. Thanks Keith! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment