Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Little Bit of Something Can Look Awfully Good to You


I've been a Richard Marx fan for twenty-three years and, for those who know me, I've collected every album and have gone to many a concert over the years. Other than a couple artists in my record collection, most of the music I'd listened to was of the hard rock, hardcore, metal, and glam rock variety. In essence, Richard was kind of the odd man out back when I was a young girl. Although, he did open doors on other genres for me over time. (i.e., country music) I was very wrapped up by genres, but I think that had to with cliques at school and fitting in as well. People looked at me oddly when they found out I had a Richard Marx record and cassette in my collection. I cared at first, but after the first jab, I just laughed it off. I began to realize my individuality.

I had always been a fan of classic and southern rock and I can remember distinctly the first time I heard the words of "Don't Mean Nothing" flow through the speakers of my television set. I was fourteen years old and it was MTV's Hip Clip of the Week. The sound of the song was enamoring, and the person behind the magic was even more than I expected. Richard Marx was twenty-three at the time and, as I can recall, I had a crush on his music even before I saw his face. Once I knew who his backing musicians were, I was astounded at how a young rookie musician could bring in such veteran talent on a debut recording. Who knew that someone as young as he was, could actually play with members of the Eagles? At least that was my mentality at the time. My thoughts pertaining to that question changed very quickly. After buying that first album, I was hooked and every album since then I've enjoyed just as much as the first.

Through the fantastic musical work of Richard Marx, I was able to meet many wonderful, kind, and generous friends. These persons share my affinity, love, and passion for his music. These people join together for his charity benefit, and have made lasting bonds that transcend continents. You might say that this was a life altering experience for me, and one that I will never regret nor forget. I've always had a blast! So I hold my deepest gratitude to Richard Marx and to Cynde Greer who tirelessly runs the websites and social networking sites so that everyone can join in the fun. That may sound corny, but it's absolutely true and I'm definitely sticking to it.

"Don't Mean Nothing" is twenty-three years old today. To commemorate this momentous occasion, my friend Angie had the brilliant idea to celebrate this day as Richard Marx Lyric Status Day. To join in the fun, just post your favorite Richard Marx lyric as your status on Facebook to honor this wonderful occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment