Thursday, March 3, 2011

Charlie Sheen... An Example of What Not to Do (A Mobile Blog)

I've always wondered how these celebrities become so adrift in life. Take Charlie Sheen, for instance, he has a family and still pisses it all away with drugs and wayward behavior. You can chalk that up toward mental illness, which many people suffer and self medicate through alcoholism or substance abuse. I struggle with depression and anxiety, which is definitely tedious if you don't have the proper medical treatment. I viewed the ABC interview that Charlie Sheen made and, though it had extreme moments of comedy and absurdity, it was very disturbing. It seemed to exploit a man who was obviously ill as a source of entertainment for the American Public and the rest of the world. I guess we are all guilty for needing to see something like that in one way or another. I can help feeling that it places mental illness and addiction in the same classification as the term "freak show" or "side show" to be less insulting. It gives these conditions even more of a stigma by glamorizing them in the media. The difference is that most of these people will have the money to get "clean" or rehabilitated, but the average person may not even have the healthcare to make the first step. These are the ones who end up self medicating, because they can't afford quality care. I've been lucky to have never struggled with healthcare or addiction issues, but I can sympathize with those who do, because I know the difficult road they have to travel. That's what angers me about people like Charlie Sheen, because he can throw away an indispensable amount of cash to get rehab, but the average person would never have the luxury to get that type of medical attention. Instead he just chooses to make himself a folly for network television so he can flaunt his ridiculous toxic behavior. I think that CBS had every right to cancel his show, because he's not the example people should see once a week. I think he should give the money he isn't using to get help and donate it to rehabilitation centers to give healthcare to those who can afford it. I doubt that'll happen... HA! I may not want people to be exploited, but I watched the Charlie Sheen interview knowing that I didn't feel sorry for him. Someone who acts and threatens people the way that man does, isn't the type who is looking for a change of lifestyle.  Even though Charlie Sheen said, "I blinked and I cured my brain!"  It was more like "I took speed and it's making me act like an insane idiot."
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment